the advocacy monitor

Independent Living News & Policy from the National Council on Independent Living

Reminder: Free Help Preparing Your Taxes

Source: Fifth Freedom, Information courtesy of the Internal Revenue Service

Haven’t completed your taxes yet? You may be eligible for free assistance with filing your taxes and applying for the Earned Income Tax Credit with the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA). VITA volunteers are certified and trained by the Internal Revenue Service and can help you prepare a basic return.

VITA is for people with low income, people with disabilities, seniors, and others who need special help. Find the VITA location nearest you online, or call 1-800-906-9887.

Bring the following:

  • Photo ID for you and your spouse, if filing jointly
  • Social Security Cards for you (& your spouse & dependents, if applicable)
  • Your W-2, W-2G, or 1099-R form, and your 1099 form, if applicable
  • A copy of last year’s tax return, if you filed
  • Want your refund by direct deposit?  Bring your bank routing numbers and account numbers.

This is not an exhaustive list. Call the VITA location nearest you and ask what you should bring.

For people with disabilities who file their taxes themselves, please see the Internal Revenue Service’s page on accessibility information, including large print and “talking” tax forms, and instructional videos in American Sign Language.


  1. You need to be aware that a volunteer may not understand the situations that a disabled person faces and may not always file your taxes correctly. Found that out the hard way.

Speak Your Mind